Monday, April 19, 2010

Next year

It's going to be amazing. Last week we signed up for classes, and I'm taking the following

  • Biology 210 (Genetics and Molecular Bio)
  • Chemistry 101 (General Chem I)
  • History 161 (British Empire and Commonwealth)
  • Coll 250 (War: What is it good for?)
  • PE 111 (Self-defense for women)
Obviously I'm excited about my science classes (they're so amazing here!) but my humanities ones will be great as well. The history course is about British imperialism in the 19th & 20th centuries, and meets the multicultural requirement for MHC, and fulfills one of my courses for my International Relations minor. The War class should be absolutely amazing. It's a seminar for sophomores only taught by Vinnie (one of my favorite profs) and has almost a dozen "contributing" professors who will guest lecture and such. The course description is:

"A multidisciplinary examination of the various ways humans have understood, represented, experienced, and justified war over time and across cultures. The course considers the representation of war through art, literature, and music. It analyzes possible causes of war, including innate human drives, gender differences, socialization, and economic and resource competition. In addition, it examines justifications for war from a range of ethical perspectives."

As an added bonus, I don't have class before 10am, and on Thursdays not until 11am!!

I also have exciting news on the rooming front - next year I will be living with my best friend Kelsey in our first-choice hall! I just got back from hall choosing night, when all the members of my class nervously sit in an auditorium and watch as halls fill up as students' lottery numbers are called. Luckily Kelsey and I had a great number, and we got into our first choice, Brigham. It's pretty close to my current hall, and is basically right next to the library - so convenient! Also many of our friends are living right across the street in Pearson, so it will be convenient. :)

Right now I have about a billion things to do, so I should probably stop blogging. I'll update again soon, promise!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Your classes for the beginning of next year sound fun (and really interesting) and getting into the place where you want to live is always exciting :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck you in the eyeball for having PE at your school!
    Also, I miss you and you should share cool things that you learn in your war class =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - it is all very exciting! :D

    Haha Kiersten, not only do we have PE classes, we're required to take 6 credits (basically 6 classes, since most are 1 credit each). We will definitely have to chat - hopefully I'll come up to UW for a weekend and we can hang. :)

    ReplyDelete