Monday, June 8, 2009

Registration

Even though we never get to see live primetime shows, there are still some advantages to living on the west coast! Tonight at midnight EST (9pm PST), class registration opened for incoming first years (me!).

It was a rather stressful experience, as it turns out. I've read and re-read the instructions over and over, so at least I knew how to pre-register. However, I was unaware that first years were limited to taking one "First Year Seminar" (small classes only for firsties), and that I wouldn't be able to register for Spanish 200 even though I took a placement test that qualified me to do so. Before tonight, I had planned to take the following classes:


After encountering the above-mentioned problems, I changed my schedule slightly, and I am officially registered for these classes:


I had to register for Literature in lieu of Spanish, so at least I have the required amount of credits. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to my adviser and get permission to register for Spanish 200. Although I wanted to take Spanish fall semester so I don't forget everything, it's not the end of the world - it might be nice to have a break after taking four years of Spanish in high school! However, I am super excited about my other classes...

ENGL 200 - An Introduction to the Study of Literature: I signed up for this class on a whim. It is technically ENGL 200, so a little more advanced than ENGL 101 (which are all First Year Seminars). If it is half as amazing as AP Literature this year, it will be amazing!

BIOL 145 - Nature Harmoniously Confus'd: Honestly, the reason I signed up for this class is because it is taught by Professor Rachootin. When I visited MHC in April, I sat in on his class all about Charles Darwin, and I LOVED it. The description of the class says this: "Most organisms are notably unlike ourselves--a tapestry of bacteria, protozoans, algae, and, off by themselves, the plants, fungi, and other animals. We will survey the whole range of organisms, especially those in the ponds and forests of our campus. Labs will start in the field, offering many opportunities for wet or muddy work. The class is addressed to students intrigued by natural history; it might be useful for students interested in further study of the environment." Umm, it's perfect!

DANCE 137 - Intro to Tap: I was looking for a fun PE class to take, but most were full! It kind of stinks, being the last to register. But a friend who is a current MHC student recommended tap, so I'm taking it! :)

STAT 140 - Intro to Statistics: Math isn't my favorite, but I think statistics will be interesting - I hear from friends that it's 80% English and 10% math, which sounds good to me! It's also a pre-requisite for Environmental Studies majors.

POLIT 104 - American Politics: Originally I had been planning to take Intro to Political Theory, but unfortunately it was a First Year Seminar and I had to choose between it and Bio. Instead, I'm taking this class which also sounds really interesting! After the election I'm feeling a bit of a politics-withdrawal, so hopefully this will fill that gap.

Sorry these posts are so long, but I have a lot to say! I'll try to keep them shorter from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment